Friday 25 January 2013

Amazing apples

Well hello

Last Sunday, as we were stuck in the house due to the snow, I decided to do some much needed baking. I had some apples in the fridge, and I had watched a video from the sister's at Crumbs for an apple cake. Now this is something that I had not tried making before, but I really liked the look of it. The girls at Crumbs call it an 8 apple cake as, you can probably guess, they used 8 apples! But that is dependant on the weight of the apples after you have peeled and chopped them. I in fact did use 8 apples, there were just cox eating apples, but using a mixture would also be good. So I gathered up my bits and gave it a go :)



Ingredients
450g of apples, peeled, cored and chopped
Juice if a lemon
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
200g plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
200g caster sugar
3 eggs
6 level tbsp melted butter
1-2 tbsp milk, as needed
1 tbsp demerera sugar to top

 
 
Firstly, preheat your oven to 180C/350F and grease and line your cake tin. Then comes the job of peeling, coring and chopping up your apples. Don't forget, the apples weigh a lot less once you have done this, so I had the bowl on some scales and was weighing as I was chopping! And it really saved me time that I had this apple slicer/corer that I totally recommend! I believe I bought that in Wilkinson for about £2, but makes the process so much quicker :) Then, once I had 450g of chopped apples, I added the juice of a lemon, to keep the apples from going brown, and the cinnamon.
Then, in a separate bowl, combine the flour. sugar and baking powder, and then add in the eggs and milk to make a batter. You can add some of the milk here if it seems to thick. Next, fold in the apples and any lemon juice left in the bowl.
 
 
 
Pour the mixture into your lined cake tin, smooth it down, and sprinkle over your demerera sugar. Put into the oven for 45-50 minutes until golden brown. I check that it's cooked through by sticking a skewer into the middle, if it comes out clean, it's cooked :)
 
 
 

And there you have it! It was amazing! Especially warm, we couldn't wait too long to try it as it smelt lovely as soon as I took it out of the oven. I would urge everyone to give this a go.
 
toodle pip!
 
Beka x


No comments:

Post a Comment