Sunday 17 March 2013

Cleaning brushes

Well hello
 
Hope you are all well and looking forward to Easter :) I'm dreading having all that chocolate around the house! I'm cutting down the amount I buy the kids as they get loads from grandparents, aunts and uncles and their mum.
 
So today I just wanted to talk about cleaning make up brushes....
 
I have previously blogged about my purchase of the Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman brushes, and I have started using them more regularly now, so I felt like I needed to give them a good clean. I researched for a few days online and especially YouTube to find the best way to clean my brushes. I came across a few videos who used the same method and ingredients to make the brush cleaner, so I got all the bits and went for it :)
 
Firstly, you need a bowl, some extra virgin olive oil, antibacterial washing up liquid and cold water (ideally you do this at the sink). Mix together equal parts of the oil and soap in the bowl. Then, taking one brush at a time, dip it into the oil/soap mix and then add a little water. Then, using the palm of your hand, and in a circular motion, rub the mix into the brush. At this point, your should start seeing the product come out of the brush and create a foam. You just need to keep going until the foam is white and you have got all the product out.
 
I did my brushes all at once, so, once I had cleaned them all in the mix, I then went back through them and rinsed them all out under the cold water. You want to make sure you keep the brushes with the bristles down, just so the water doesn't go up into the handles. And the last step was to rub a little conditioner onto the bristles and then rinsed them off, which left them so shiny and smooth.
 
Lastly, I got rid of as much liquid from the brushes, laid hem on a towel, then folded the towel onto the top just to stop any dirt from getting onto them as they dried.
 
And I have to say, it has worked to well. They are so soft and clean now! I only did this yesterday and, as today is Sunday and we have stayed at home all day, I haven't used them! But I sure am looking forward to trying them out :)
 
How often do you clean your brushes?
 
toodle pip!
 
Beka x

No comments:

Post a Comment