Thursday 18 April 2013

Recycling jars

Well hello

As you may have seen from some of my previous posts, I recently painted our lounge (finally) and have been putting up shelves and pictures over the last couple of weeks to make it more homely. One thing I love doing of an evening is snuggling on the sofa and lighting some candles, and we do have quite a few tealight holders, which are plain glass, but I really wanted something that would go with the colour of our walls. So, with an empty jam jar, some tissue paper and PVA glue, I got started.....

I believe I got this idea from Pinterest and a photo I saw on there - I am a little addicted to Pinterest and love to just scroll through the DIY/Craft section and am amazed at some of the wonderful things on there. Anyway, I managed to buy some blue/turquoise tissue paper from The Range, and I had some PVA glue laying around (I use it all the time!!) so I decided to give it a go.

I just cut up the tissue paper into strips - there wasn't really a standard size for these, and it depends on the size of your jar and the look you want to go for - and I painted some of the glue onto the outside of the jar. Then it's just a case of putting the tissue paper onto the glue, and then painting over the paper also. This not only helps if you want to layer the paper over one another, but it gives it a good sheen when you are finished.

Here are the two jars I have decorated so far....



I like the fact they are different shaped jars, a little bit more random, and I plan to make more in different colours for different rooms in our house, depending on the colour scheme. I have been rinsing out and putting all my jars through the dishwasher, and now I have a collection of jars, all different sizes and shapes, ready to decorate :)

Is this something you would try?

toodle pip!

Beka x

No comments:

Post a Comment